Prometheus

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 03:11:08 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

I've got a 9" Craftsman bandsaw. Apparently Sears was phasing it
out or something, not sure just what.and it was priced at about $35,
new, in the box. Few days later they had the shelves stocked with an
almost identical model, going for about $175.

For various reasons I don't use it much, altho it runs well enough,
and the blade cuts smooth. However, I'm not having a lot of luck with
cutting, can't make a straight cut for mor than about 3 inches, then it
starts wandering. It's a 1/4" blade.

Same problem with my Delta 9" bandsaw. The usual reason for this is
that one side of the blade is duller than the other, but it seems to
be more of a problem with the 1/4" blade than it is with wider blades.

I'm thinking I'll do a bit better with a wider blade. The specs
say it'll take up to a 3/8" wide blade.

3/8" does a pretty good job, as far as it goes.

I'm wondering if I could move up to a 1/2" blade, rather than a
3/8", with no problems, or should I just stick with the 3/8"? The
tires are wider than 1/2', and I can't seen anyplace it didn't look like
a 1/2" blade wouldn't work.

Your guide blocks won't be in the center of the blade. I'm not sure
how much of a difference it would make in your cuts, but it's usually
not a good idea to try to push machines too hard by using bits or
blades that are too large for them.

I'm not interested in making any curved cuts, intentionally or not,
I'd rather use my Craftsman scroll saw for it. (Same type of price, and
situation, with the scroll saw. Around $35, for a nice 16" variable
speed, new in the box. The Woodworking Gods look out for me at times).
All I'd probably use the bandsaw for is crosscuts, maybe up to a foot,
max, at this time, maybe make a jig and try a bit of resawing later on.

Only a bit of resawing, of course. Unless you saw has a whole lot
more power than the Delta, 2.5" is about the widest board (using maple
as a benchmark) I've gotten to resaw nicely with a saw that small.
Anything larger really bogs down the motor.

Thanks.

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam