John McCoy

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"J T" wrote in message

All I'd probably use the bandsaw for is crosscuts, maybe up to a
foot, max, at this time, maybe make a jig and try a bit of resawing
later on.

Actually, tension is one of the last things I'd look at. How does it
track?

Spend some time getting a new 3/8" or 1/2" blade to track in the
middle of the wheels. once you've got that whipped, then go on to
other things like properly setting the guides, etc.

IME, and apparently contrary to popular opinion, you don't need a
world of tension to get a good, straight cut on a well setup band saw.

If this is a 3-wheel saw, which seems likely from the source and
the price, then by definition it's not a "well setup bandsaw".

More to the point, it's a tiny saw, it's probably never going to
do well with a 1/2" blade. All the tension in world doesn't help
when the top of the blade is being pushed into the cut faster than
the bottom of it is being pulled out.

I'd suggest Joat work on getting it to track well with a 1/4" blade,
which should be servicable for anything you'd do on that saw (he's
not going to be resawing logs into lumber on it).

John