Larry Jaques

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:57:01 GMT, patriarch
calmly ranted:

Today was a really good day in Northern California.

After finishing two days of GOOD business meetings, I drove up through the
Sonoma County countryside, through the redwood rainforest along the Navarro
River. I got to the Pacific Coast, just south of the town of Mendocino
after dark, but the night was clear, and the moon was reflecting off of the
river and the surf was breaking softly at the mouth of the river. A Kodak
moment. Made my way north to Fort Bragg, and checked in to my motel.
Slept for 11 hours. (Almost a gloat in itself!)

Man, you drove all the way up 101 to Bragg? That's a long, long trip.
I did it a couple years ago from the northern end, then hit I-5 back.

It was one of those magical days without fog, which the locals say happen

I hit fog on the coast and we waited in it for half an hour while
the road crew (constantly making the Coast Highway safe all year)
played their paving games. It's a beautiful area in the clear.

all too seldom. I'm 3 of 5 in my last trips there. At 8 am, I met my
friend Dan at his shop. Dan is a chairmaker of some repute, who trained at
College of the Redwoods, and stayed on. He showed me his shop, gave me a
quick tutorial on greenwood chairmaking, and introduced me to some
houseguests. He rents a room to a young Swedish woodworking student at the
college, and the fellow's parents were there, so we visited for a bit, and
got the tour of the various 'on display' pieces they'd made.

So was this a trip to a friend's shop or an actual class you took
there, Glenn? (Cool either way.)

The point of the visit was for me to purchase some tan oak, which is a
native-to-this-portion of the world species with little to no current
commercial market. Dan had done, with College of the Redwoods, a class on
kiln-drying, and now the output was for sale. We spent about 90 minutes,
unloading a portion of the kiln, and selecting boards. Another set of
lessons and guidelines on selecting rough lumber for figure, grain,
stability, etc. More teaching on small kiln operation theory and practice.
Better understanding of smaller than typical commercial scale wood
harvesting, etc. And about 150 bd ft of some very nice lumber, at a very
reasonable price.

That's the way to buy lumber. You suck. (Whatever the price.)

While I was in town, I dropped in to visit with Star Supply, the current
domain holder of Shellac.net (I don't know the history, and it's not my
business.) I met Ann, who has run the place for decades, and she was very
sorry to have to disappoint me, and have me wait for three to four weeks
for more of the dewaxed platinum, made famous here by the previous owner of
said shellac domain (and the fellow responsible for my buying that 24"
Stanley monster in my shop ;-)) Nice people, making a living in an out of
the way corner of the world that thrives on wood working.

Is O'Deen still miffed at them?

The weather was great, and I drove home over the mountain to Willits, and
down 101 (175 miles) with the windows down, and the CD player up. Norah
Jones, Diana Krall, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lyle Lovett make pretty good
company. The trees, the orchards and the vineyards were in glorious color
under the autumn sky.

I stopped at the drive-through redwood tree in Willits but my truck
was too wide to go through without taking the mirrors off. A Toyota
pickemup made it and a Queen Vic made it with 1 less usable mirror.
Those are good tunes for the most part. (I don't know about Lovett
'cuz I haven't heard much of his music at all. 1 movie tune?)
I took that road from Willits to the coast at full speed. THAT was
fun. A few cars that were on it let two of us pass and we played
the corners all the way. I probably lost about 1,000 miles worth of
tread on that run, but it was a real blast.

The truck ran fine, and wasn't at all overloaded,
like some of our Canadian friends have been occasionally known to do.

Heh heh heh.

Back by 4 pm, my wife even cooked dinner.

As has been said here recently: "Life is good!"

That's a Roger, Over.

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.