Edwin Pawlowski

"Scott Willett" wrote in message
a. 10 in compound miter saw

Nice to have. You'll get use out of it. Be sure to get a good cross
cutting blade for it.

b. Router, I have only used once.

Good start. You will want a couple of roundover bits, amybe a couple of
straight cutters. Use good 1/2" shank bits. Buy what you need as you go
but there are some reasonably priced kits too.
..

c. An old Makita 8 inch, contractor table saw

Consider upgrading to a good contractors saw. Get a Beisemeyer fence or
equal, or a Unifence. Figure $800 and up. You can spend more on a cabinet
saw, but is is not really needed for the weekender. If you have hte $$, go
for it.

Any suggestions on my next steps or purchases? My "gung ho" side wants to
purchase an upgraded table saw, belt driven.

Good idea. A drill press is nice to have. Bandsaw, planer, etc. You don't
need all the tools at once. Ear protection and safety glasses are musts,
IMO.

Any suggest as my next steps?
Wood working class?

Yes. A basic class can be a big help. Woodcraft stores usually have them.
Adult Ed classes also. Learn the basics, learn some safety too.

I've invested about $7000 over four years. There is always a tool that
you'd like to have, but most of us buy as we need and can afford. Sometimes
good deals can be had on used tools. Many wood suppliers can joint and plane
wood for you saving the initial investment in those tools. No shame in
starting out with #2 pine boards from Home Depot either.