igor

On 17 Nov 2004 20:01:02 -0800, (Keith) wrote:

I am considering buying a Craftsman RAS for mostly dado work. Does
anyone have any info thay can share about there experiences with the
Craftsman?

IME, crosscutting dados with my Craftsman RAS is a bit tough because the
blades really grab the wood and the carriage lurches forward. While there
are RAS blades made to help avoid this when simply cutting, I do not know
of a dado blade designed for the RAS.

This you may know, as it applies to RAS in general: If the wood does not
sit flat on the TS when you cut a dado, the dado will be too shallow -- and
you can cut it again in the same piece of wood. Of course on the RAS if
the wood is not flat the dado is cut too deep. For example, if you are
ripping a dado on a long piece with the RAS and the wood is not supported
well, it can arch upwards along the way and you cut too deep. For that
matter, even crosscutting in a long piece can cause problems, but they are
a bit easier to catch before you cut. So, you have to be plan accordingly
to ensure that the wood is flat to the table.

All that being said, it can be much easier to cross-cut a bunch of dados in
8' long pieces using an RAS than a TS. HTH. -- Igor