patriarch

Andy Dingley wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:17:16 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

Andy, I noticed you built the top from oak.

Would you do yours in oak again? Or Euro beech, or similar?

I'd think about changing the shoulder vice, but I've no complaints
about the benchtop material.

I used oak because I was offered it basically for free. I didn't
really _need_ a new bench right that minute, but clearly these couple
of 2" boards had "new bench" written on them. The only timber I
actually bought was the 3x4 thick stuff for the ends.

snip

Thanks for relating the experience, Andy. The material I picked up today
has too much character to consider turning into a benchtop. It's got a
higher calling...

Patriarch