IMM

Default Thickness of ceiling joists in loft

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:57:11 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Huge wrote:
Not as bad as "link detached" (which are joined by the garage)
and are, in my book, called "terraced".

In London in the late 1930's Wates built thousands of link detached
chalet houses, flank walls about 3' apart with a linking arch across
the front. I was told that at the time for rating purposes they had
to be classed as s/d as they were unarguably joined to another house,
but in terms of noise etc they were detached.

See typical picture at

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/cgi-b...opt=prop&pid=1

9
8534

Typical of London. All the front gardens are being stripped out, paved

and
car parks made of them, giving hideous appearance. In Chiswick, etc, the
gardens in front of the terraced houses have virtually all gone, giving

the
streets an appalling appearance of car butted up to the front windows.
Making car parks of front gardens should be stopped. And those converted
turned back to gardens. The more you encourage people to have and park

cars
the worse it gets, where the car takes over our lives. The more

obstacles
you put in the way the less people will use cars. In London few people
really need a car.

If public transport were cheaper, I'd say you have a point. But it's
not cheap, is it?

Cheaper than a car which will only sit in traffic jam. the point is the
looks: gardens are disappearing, and pollution cars bring.