S. Dees

That's not a bad idea. It would be fine if I was wanting to display just one
hardcover book. It wouldn't be damaged from leaning back like that. The
usual way of displaying books in a new bookstore in our area is to display
about half the shelf with the spine facing outwards. (The traditional way of
putting books in a bookcase.) And the other half, mostly new release books &
popular books, stacked 3 or 4 deep with the front covers facing out. If you
only put a single paperback in the groove, rather than 3 or 4 in a stack
facing out, I think it would tend to bend the top right corner of the book
and damage it. (It would be put at a 20 to 30 degree angle and the softer
right side of the book would sag, while the spine stayed stiff.) If you
stacked them 3 or 4 deep so there wouldn't be such an angle and sag, then
when someone takes the first book in the pile the 2nd one might fall forward
if someone picked it up and put it back carelessly.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sean.

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
And others have suggested putting a
wedge or cleat under the front part of the shelf.

Could you not just use horizontal shelves but rout a small groove

parallel
to, and set slightly back from, the front edge of each one, similar to the
grooves found on some shelves that are used for displaying plates and
platters?

Lee