S. Dees

When explaining the project and all of your suggestions to my wife, I found
a small problem with one type of solution that seems to work at first
glance, yet has a major drawback....

The solution types with a problem are as follows:
Some people have suggested either tapering the shelves so that they are
thicker at the front than the back. Others have suggested putting the shelf
support pins one notch up at the front. And others have suggested putting a
wedge or cleat under the front part of the shelf.

Now those are all great suggestions for if I was going to be displaying all
the books with the front covers of the books facing towards the front, but
this solution has a major drawback for the rest of the books that are
stacked in the traditional way with the edges facing forward. The problem is
that all the books stacked traditionally will have 1/2" - 1" space at the
bottom of the back of the book. (Due to the shelves not being 90 degrees
from the back of the bookcase. The shelves would actually only be about 80
degrees) This will cause damage to the books at the top of the book. (They
would have a tendency to have bent corners and damage the edges.)

The one solution that I have found that seems to be the best so far is to
just trim a small angle off the bottom of the sides so that the shelf
actually leans against the wall. (Then drill a cleat into the wall to mount
the shelf onto to provide stability, and a larger cleat at the bottom so
that the bookcase couldn't be pushed backwards at the bottom.)

Thanks for all the suggestions, and if anyone has any further advice I
gladly look forward to hearing it.

Thanks, Sean.

"S. Dees" wrote in message
Hello, I am going to be opening a bookstore in about 6-8 months and I need
to build about 50 - 60 bookcases. I have not been able to find any plans
with sloped shelves. (The shelves need to be sloped backwards so that

books
that are stacked with the front cover facing out will not accidentally

fall
forward and out.)
There is a company called Franklin Fixtures that sells these type of
bookcases pre-made. Here is a link to their website (so you can see what I
am looking at making):
http://www.franklinfixtures.com/priceval.html
I would like to make about 35-45 of the 84" Tapered Single sided cases and
about 15-20 of the 54" Tapered Double sided cases.
The shelves also need to be adjustable.
Has anyone seen any plans for these types of bookcases?
Thanks for any and all help!
Sean.