max

Some woods just don't like to be stained. They act like they love you and
when you commit they laugh at you and tell you that your mom dresses you
funny.
My experience has been to use a surface stain instead of a penetrating
stain. You would seal the wood with a clear coat and then apply the stain
over the sealed wood. The stain is translucent so you can see the grain, and
you get nice even coverage and no splotches. The up side is you can change
the color later if you decide to.
max

"Frosty Thunder" wrote in message
I'm trying to stain some cherry wood and just seem to get blochy results.
I'm using a gel stain which is doing much better than the thin stuff. I'm
putting it on evenly and wiping off the excess. Is it in the wood or the
stain or the application method? Any help would be appricated.

Miniwax brand, right?