S. Dees

I have done a fair bit of woodworking before. I was hoping for some plans to
just help me with the shelf angle issue. I've gotten a few very helpful
suggestions from this group so far, and I think I have enough information to
make a "prototype" to see how it works out. (I can always use an extra 1 or
2 bookcases at home if they aren't perfect.)
At $300 per bookcase that works out to $15,000 - $18,000 for 50 or 60
bookcases. Plus tax. Plus shipping. And that is assuming that I can find
someone in Canada that can do it for the same price as Franklin does it in
the USA. I have 6 - 8 months before the grand opening of my store, and no
other work to fill up my time until then. If I can save $5000 - $10,000 by
doing it myself, that would be the best way to go.
Sean

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"S. Dees" wrote in message
There is a company called Franklin Fixtures that sells these type of
bookcases pre-made. Here is a link to their website (so you can see what

am looking at making):
http://www.franklinfixtures.com/priceval.html
I would like to make about 35-45 of the 84" Tapered Single sided cases

and
about 15-20 of the 54" Tapered Double sided cases.
The shelves also need to be adjustable.
Has anyone seen any plans for these types of bookcases?
Thanks for any and all help!
Sean.

Have you done any woodworking at all? If not, it may be cheaper to have
them built in a production shop. If you have, why do you need plans? The
simple sketch on the Franklin web page gives the dimensions. A few

minutes
with paper and pencil and you have a plan and materials list. For

instance,
the 84" tapered single has a side that is 84" high. Since it is 18" deep,
you could cut the sides, oh say, 18 x 84. Go to a bookstore and take a
ruler with you for more detail.

My point is, if you have the skills to make them from plans, you have the
skills to make a simple sketch and do it. If you don't have the skills

(or
tools), it may be better to have the done for you. Use the skills you do
have to make money to pay for it. A sheet of plywood ($50) will yield

the
two sizes and three shelves. You need a back and four more shelves.
Material cost for the wood, edge banding, shelf pins, screws, glue, etc.

is
about $125. Then add the finish of two or three coats of urethane. That
$295 is not so bad now when you factor in labor.

The prices from Franklin don't seem to be out of line at all. Freight

will
be a big factor though. Check that out before you commit to anything.

I'd
do them for you but I'd have to charge every bit of $300, probably more.