S. Dees

I never thought about contracting out doing the edge banding on the shelves.
That's a fantastic idea! I've done a bit of banding in the past, and have
never been 100% satisfied with the results. I was thinking about attaching a
piece of trim to the front of the shelves, but the cost of 1000 feet of 1"
trim would probably be much more expensive and certainly much more time
consuming than just farming out the job.
I don't know of any shops that do that sort of stuff in the Vancouver,
Canada area, but that's what the Yellow Pages are for...
I think you might be right about building a standard bookcase and then
"trimming" an inch off the back bottom edge to provide the angle and then
using a cleat at the top to hold it against the wall. That sounds like the
best idea I have heard so far.
Thanks!
Sean

"max" wrote in message
Here in SF there are shops that can do things for you to save you time and
money. When we had a big job, we sometimes sent out panels for edge

banding.
We had a job to make 17 cabinets with tons of shelving so paying a guy to
edge band save us 2 days.
There are shops that have CNC routers, panel saws and other tools beyond

our
reach that will help you. You can buy prefinished maple ply or apple ply

and
then have one of these shops cut it and edgeband it for you. You can
actually use apple ply without edgebanding for a nice look.
As for plans, it seems pretty straightforward. You can design you case
bringing the bottom shelf up an inch or so from the bottom edge of the

sides
and then cut the bottom edge at a 2 or 3 degree slant and then cleat the

top
of the case to the wall.
Or you can make a jig and make hundreds of dado cuts at an angle. You

might
also be able to farm out the dado cuts to a CNC shop (angled or straight).
max

Hello, I am going to be opening a bookstore in about 6-8 months and I

need
to build about 50 - 60 bookcases. I have not been able to find any plans
with sloped shelves. (The shelves need to be sloped backwards so that

books
that are stacked with the front cover facing out will not accidentally

fall
forward and out.)
There is a company called Franklin Fixtures that sells these type of
bookcases pre-made. Here is a link to their website (so you can see what

am looking at making):
http://www.franklinfixtures.com/priceval.html
I would like to make about 35-45 of the 84" Tapered Single sided cases

and
about 15-20 of the 54" Tapered Double sided cases.
The shelves also need to be adjustable.
Has anyone seen any plans for these types of bookcases?
Thanks for any and all help!
Sean.