T Will

Thanks for your suggestions. It will be a week or so before I get to
cracking on the project. I've looked it over some and think I'm going
to try relocating the holes where the worst damage was done, plug the
holes I don't use with dowels, and use wood filler for about half of
the remaining holes that have only minor damage. With countersinking
and plugging the screw heads (and the dowels that filled unused
holes), it should look pretty clean when finished. Maybe I'll get
another 30 years of service out of it. This older redwood is a pretty
incredible material. Sits out in the elements and takes it all in
stride.

Appreciate you taking time to pass along your ideas.

T Will