Stephen M

Particularly for overhead kitchen cabinets, the sliding doors have a *BIG*
advantage -- you can't bang your head on the door if you leave it open.
(Note: the house I grew up in had those sliding door cabinets; when I

moved
into 'a place of my own', it took me *years* to learn to _always_ close
the cabinet doors. When you grow up 'knowing better', hinged doors are an
abomination!

For home construction, the slot is usually cut with a table-saw, rather
than a router.

The doors need to be relatively thin, and light-weight. e.g., 1/4" Baltic
Birch.

As somebody else pointed out, there _are_ some design subtilities --

because
the doors _are_ removable/replaceable after construction. The 'upper'

track
needs to be more than twice as deep as the lower one, *and* a bit wider.

And/or bevel the rear top of the guide tennon.

I enjoyed (sort-of) reading the FWW article to explain where I went wrong on
some pantry doors a while back. They touched on my bigest mistake but did
not dwell on it.

I got a bit lazy since it was not a high visibility area and just jut some
panels from 1/4" maple ply. Since, they have warped a bit. It is imperative
that the doors be very flat to run well. 1/4" ply does not have enough
substance to stay put.

One of these days, I'll cut them down and capture them in frame.