Robert Bonomi

In article ,
David F. Eisan wrote:
I went to an auction on Saturday and bought a little bit of ash. The auction
listed it as 500 BF of 10-12' 8/4 ash. I couldn't take it home on Saturday
because it was at the back of a barn behind other piles of lumber. My little
Ford Ranger was in for service today so I borrowed a 4x4 5.4l F150. I don't
know what the truck is rated for,

*THAT* is easy to answer. a '150' is rated for 3/4 ton -- 1500 lbs. An F250
gets you another thousand pounds of capacity.

but I am sure I had over 2000 lbs of Ash
in it today. Hand loading that by myself was quite laborious, thankfully my
Dad was at the other end to help me unload. I think there is more than 650
BF in the pile.

lessee. 500 bd ft is 41 2/3 cu ft. 650 bd ft is 54 1/6 cu ft
At an arbitrary specific gravity of .75 , it's going weigh 46.8 lbs/cu ft.
500 bd ft comes in at 1950 lbs, 650 bd ft at 2535 lbs.

Yeah, that would have been an uncomfortable ride on a 1500 lb-rated suspension.

I am not used to driving a full size pickup, and driving one
loaded to the gills was quite a challenge. It was dancing with a fat chick,
every little bit of motion in the steering wheel caused the truck to jiggle
from side to side as it settled out. I was leading a parade for 150 KM on a
back highway as I actually drove the speed limit (80KPH).

*GRIN*

All in all, I think it was worth the effort for 650 BF of 8/4 White Ash at
$0.57 CDN (about $0.46 US) a BF.

That's the kind of pricing where people are prone to ask "did you use a gun?"