Upscale

"mark" wrote in message news:MMemd.912930
then again, I feel the same way about other legislation that gets in my
life, like helmet laws and seatbelt laws. You can't save people from

their
own stupidity. I would wear a helmet if I rode a motorcycle, and I wear a
seatbelt in the car, and I would probably buy a saw with this feature if

it
were a free or reasonably price option, only because accidents do happen.
But I resent the fact that I'm told that it's mandatory by a bunch of
lawyers and politicians that want to make it look like they're doing
something for their money.

I mostly agree with you're take on the legislation of safety products except
for one thing. It isn't only the victim that has to pay for their mistakes.
It's society that pays for the medical cost of repairing your injury and
pays for the long term rehabilitation that people need because they weren't
smart enough to wear a seat belt, helmet or other safety device. You might
claim that not using those devices often results in death and society won't
pay much in that regard, but the reality is that more individuals end up
loving and need radically expensive long term therapy that's a constant
drain on the resources that our collective society provides.

As far as I'm concerned, it's human nature for people to attempt to get away
with whatever they can and that instinct needs to be contained in some way.
Show me a way to do that without legislation and I'll consider it. Until
then, legislation is mostly the only way to stop much of our society from
becoming a drain on itself.