TWS

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:05:11 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I am going to put sliding doors on a cabinet. Is there any reason not to
simply rout the tracks into the cabinet, rather than putting tracks in?
I don't think I have ever seen it done that way, but it should be rather
nices.
Thanks.

As I recall there are two secrets to setting up sliding doors this
way:
1) the top slots are deeper than the bottom slots so that the doors
can be lifted up out of the bottom slots for easy removal. This
requires that the top slot have a little leeway so you can swing the
door in and out.
2) don't have the full bottom edge of the door in contact with the
bottom slot. Use just a couple of contact points and wax the slot
well. You could try to find nylon 'buttons' to insert in the bottom
edge as bearing surfaces or simply drill and 'tap' for a nylon binding
head screw - this would be easily replaceable when it wore out.

Also, I agree with another poster who suggested ripping a dado on your
TS rather than routing the dado but YMMV.

TWS