tzipple

I ain't selling it...

Fine Woodworking's current issue has an article on the StopSaw, now
being sold. Very positive initial article. The number that they use is,
I believe, 3500+ amputations. I do not find that hard to believe if you
count all accidents resulting in finger amputations. I have met enough
woodworkers with 9 1/2 fingers to see this as credible.

philski wrote:
tzipple wrote:

Saw that article this month (Fine Woodworking) on SawStop. With
thousands of amputations a year occuring with tablesaw accidents, any
bets on how long it takes for this to be a standard feature? It seems
to me that it will get hard for manufacturers to avoid it, if for no
other reason than to head off lawsuits from people who claim that the
manufactures had the option to manufacture a safer saw. And if it
works and is reasonable priced, it is probably a good thing to have as
standard equipment... like seatbelts, airbags, etc.

Thousands of Amputations? Damn. Can you site some official figures of
those "thousands" of amputees? I ain't buyin' it...

Philski