max

Having had floor model planers in the 13 and 20 inch size and an old Delta
portable planer I have some thoughts. The floor models are a pain to adjust,
at least the older ones. Every little detail has to be just right. It took
two months to figure out the proper adjustments for an old Delta 13 inch
floor model. The blades take a couple of hours minimum to install. The first
sharpening saw this tool down for three days before I made all of the
adjustments accurately. They do stay accurate for some time. This floor
model weighs around 500 pounds and could handle a 4x12 hardwood board
without effort. The portable Delta could also do this with lots of support
and a light cut. It just doesn't make sense to buy a machine that would be
very difficult to move when you change your shop around. These machines are
frequently 3 phase also.
My old Delta portable is so easy to change blades that I once did it in 10
minutes.
As for resale, people that work at home are a bigger potential market than
the pro shops. I sold my Planer for $300 after using it for a couple of
years. I paid $500 for the floor model Delta and I don't think I could get
that now. The smaller machines are so good now that I see many pro's using
them.
I am going to buy one soon. I am leaning towards the Dewalt 735. It is heavy
enough not to move, has two speeds, quick change blades and plenty of power.
I am also considering the Delta two speed.
The Dewalt can be had for $475 delivered. I see them sell used on ebay for
$400. So they are economical to own.
Besides, it's yellow!!
max

I have a bench top model (delta) which has been a great tool.
Probably one of hte best I have. Having said that, I'm going to
replace it with something bigger. The main reason is the motor. I
want something that will stand up to hardwoods better than the
portable while being quieter at the same time. I'm glad I bought the
bench top thought. I'll keep using it until I replace some other the
other tools that I have that are really lacking. If the money isn't
so important though, I'd get a floor standing 15" model with a closed
base and a proper motor.

brian

"Dave" wrote in message
As you are all aware, benchtop planers have come down in price
dramatically. I am considering buying my first planer, and I want it to be
the last planer I buy. I plan to make home furniture as a hobby, probably
low volume over a few decades. Portability is not an issue, and I do have
220v access with a good size shop. Is there a steep improvement in final
product quality with larger floor models? Do you think I should buy a
benchtop model, or save the dough and buy a floor model? If you had to do it
over again, which size would you buy?

Dave