David Efflandt

On 18 Nov 2004 10:10:36 -0800, Jay Chan wrote:
I believe going over to digital HDTV will still take more than a
decade unless the price of display screens can come down in price. My
confort price point is under $800 for a 27" set. But if NTSC is still
available I'll stick to my analog set until it croaks.

You can get an OTA digital set top box that can feed a standard TV with
composite video (single RCA jack) or S-video. The picture is clearer than
any analog broacast, even though many of the channels still have SD
content. But the HD widescreen content would make you long for a
widescreen TV.

For $800, you can get a 32" HDTV flat screen nowaday (may be without
tuner, and may be without digital input port). It is not a LCD flat
panel, it is flat CRT screen. 27" should be even cheaper. When I need
to get a new TV, I will definitely get a HDTV flat CRT (but I don't
need any new TV yet).

Some of the widescreen flat CRTs look sharp, but the glare from
reflections is very annoying. I don't know why they do not use anti-glare
coatings like computer monitors. They are also bulky and heavy.

My living room is fairly small and my current TV was a 20", so when I saw
27" widescreen LCDs available for under $1200, I decided to get one.
Picture for HDTV with VGA cable from set top box, or DVD using compontent
(3) cables is excellent. Sound lacks bass, but is great when output to an
external sound system (or there is a subwoofer output).