Dave Mitton

I've seen this material at Home Depot, might be a bit pricy, but it's a flooring
panelling system, that consists of tiles that space a couple inches off the
floor. A formed plastic layer stands a chipboard wooden floor out of potential
water and provides room for it to drain.

Dave.

(David) wrote:

Hello Everyone,
I have a 1920s home in the rainy northwest I've recently purchased,
and from the water staining on the drywall in the basement, we
obviously have a history of flooding. We had about 1/2 inch last
winter after about a week of good rain and one day of really heavy
rain. I put in a sump pump which I think will handle any future
flooding, but of course, you never know until it happens.
Anyway, I'm wanting to finish out the rest of the basement with new
drywall and put in some flooring instead of the old mostly unlevel and
cracked but still solid concrete floor.
I of course don't want to use carpet, but what would be the most
"flooding friendly" flooring product I could use? I just don't want to
have to tear whatever I put in back out if its damaged from some
future flood. How about ceramic tile or linoleum? Would these stand up
to up to 1 inch of water.
I'm also going to leave a 1 inch gap between the floor and my new
drywall, maybe with a rubber baseboard to keep water from wicking up
into the new drywall if it does in fact flood again.
Any suggestions on the wall or flooring?
Thanks,
David