MUADIBŪ

Home owners don't know any better and "Prime" everything and anything
unnecessarily, because HD says so and it is the 'Right" thing to do.
Well BS

Well,.................may be BS, but it is necessary to usemultiple
coats on some types of brick. I used a primer . Mostly because I
needed to paint a couple of coats due to the color of the brick on my
fireplace and the brick is still very pourous ( planning to change the
color drastically). Someone else has already mangled the color of the
original brick, a typical "Santa Clause" brick fireplace color,
sponged on, and terribly,........I am going to a color similar to or
the same as the walls in the room it's in. The original brick would
have been great, but since they screwed it up already, I'm gonna do
some coverage.

The surface of the brick is also very , very rough. This means I will
be using a HUGE amount of paint due to the actual surface area. These
bricks are some of the strangest. They appear to have been made double
wide, then scored and broken in two , the length of the
brick,............yeah, broken. Makes a hell of a rough surface.

Anyaway, it is sometimes wise NOT to use the finish paint to change
the color of the surface, unless you're using the cheapest paint you
can find. It's necessary in my case to use a primer to change from the
red, back to a light color, and fill the pourous surface. After that I
will paint the finish color and not spend as much on the finishing
paint.
This would suggest using something for a primer, or more truely a
first coat......but I only post this as an alternative set of issues,
not to be ignored when sharing advice.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIBŪ

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html