Chet Hayes

PaPaPeng wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:19:38 GMT, Dave Solly wrote:

The mandate is not for HDTV, it is for digital. Almost all of the digital
signals now, however, are HD. You will need a receiver that will receive
the ATSC signal and output the video and audio to your TV.

The so called HDTV in current sets is still processing NTSC
transmissions. Our current TV set should be good for at least another
10 years if not more.

That's not true if you're using it to watch HD, which is available
from the major networks for most of their prime time shows now. That
is being broadcast in true HD resolution, it's digital, and it is
ATSC, at least if it's being received via an antenna over the air.
You can also watch HBO, Discovery HD, HD-Net, etc on cable or sat.

As for being good for another 10 years, you better check with the FCC.
Their plan is to end NTSC broadcasts by the end of 2006, providing
certain metrics are met. I expect that will be pushed out, but the
fact is, the FCC is pushing this hard as they want to sell the
bandwidth that NTSC currently uses.

Like Dave says the mandate is for going over to digital. Digital will
take up a lot less bandwith and yet provide a lot more services. The
freed bandwidth is a very valuable public commodity and can be
allocated for other than TV uses. That's also a FCC mandate.

When HDTV screen displays come down in price to match current analog
TV set prices I think that's when there will be a great migration to
digital HDTV. The electronic circuitry shouldn't be that much
different in costs and may perhaps even be less. DVD players already
cost peanuts and there is little to distinguish their quality from
pricier brand names. A good digital radio and amplifier should cost
around $100 max. We already have our PCs which can interface with this
digital HDTV (it better do so.) and that will eliminate a lot of
single function gadgets in our present home media set-up. We will
then have an excuse to replace all our home entertainment equipment
without breaking our bank account.