3D Peruna

"sal" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:49:52 -0600, "3D Peruna"
wrote:

===============Snip================
That's nice if you make these membranes, and I'm sure it's nice for
roofers working on the high-sloped mansions that are all the rage now
aday's, but it means SQUAT for the low-slope home owner that has to
deal with tearing the hell out of his decking in 20 years because of
friggin sticky-back membrane. (!)

The purpose of an I/W membrane is to keep out the ice dams which often
GROW
from the bottom up. If you don't have the membrane adhered to the
substrate, the ice can grow between the substrate and the membrane, making
the whole thing useless. Even with proper drip flashing, this could be a
problem. With the adhered membrane, you can't get any water between it
and
the substrate, thus making it an effective system. Nailing it down is as
effective as having felt.

Nope, common sense over rules here.

Yes...it does. Come and look at my gutters in Minnesota about January and
tell me that I don't need my I/W glued to the plywood. Common sense tells
me that I should wrap the I&W over the fascia, too, before installing any
drip edge, flashing or fascia. Water, in the form of ice, will make its way
uphill and can cause all sorts of problems. That's why we want it glued
down tight.

{