Tom Baker

"JOHN D" wrote in message news:19Pmd.6910$GV5.2821@trnddc04...

The arrangement doesn't meet code.
I'm sure it will work for you o.k.
I do worry about the hand rail.
Can it be mounted on the other side of the stair?
TB

The stairwell is allready narrow and putting the rail opposite the door
makes it narrower. The top end of hand rail would be about 1" away from the
edge of the open door. So the door would intrude into the width about the
same as the hand rail does and on the same side.
I have one of those CodeCheck field guide flip chart things and it says a
door is ok if it does not swing over a step. The door would just slightly
swing over the step (1/4"). I could probably tweek something or change the
hinges to get rid of that 1/4". The CodeCheck also says the landing should
be 36" on both sides of door. It's 30" and can't be changed and is probably
a code violation. The house is 10 years old. The inspector must have passed
it when new.

As I said, although the arrangement rrdoesn't meet current code, your
proposal will probably work for you.
TB