Roger

Laser (just something else to put batteries in) levels are a perfect answer
to a question nobody thought to ask. In other words, a gimmick, for all jobs
but true survey/squaring/triangulation/range finding jobs. I have 9", 24"
and 48" levels. With such a selection of old technology, plus a sharp
pencil, you can do myriad shelves and other projects around the house.
Further, lasers depend totally on integral bubbles, which are just as likely
to be inaccurate as any other level. If you buy a bubble level, check vert.
and horiz. with several other samples to make sure you don't buy a "sport".

I am a new home owner and I would like to get started on things like
shelving projects etc. I am looking for a laser level that can emit
a reasonably far (not just 3 - 5) but won't be too expensive either.
Saw some brands like Craftsman and B&D.