Tom Miller

On 17 Nov 2004 14:40:46 -0500, Philip Lewis
wrote:

| Grandpa Koca writes:
| painted is ALWAYS painted thereafter. Just something to keep in mind.
|
| Personally, i see painted brick and want to scream at the person
| responsible... but it's the OP's house...

Yeah, I used to think this too, until 22 years ago I moved into the
1921 house I now live in. The brick fireplace was the ugliest thing
I'd ever seen, and in an otherwise very beautiful building.

The bricks were the same bricks as on the outside of the house, but
inside they looked dreadful and out of place. The joints were crooked
and way too wide -- I think they had been repointed, but very badly.
The style was supposed to be a nod to the Arts and Crafts style (the
house is technically a Dutch colonial, but with many Arts and Crafts
touches). However, instead of the simple honesty of Arts and Crafts,
the fireplace just looked like a mistake.

I hated to do it on general principle, but repainting was the only
choice other than tearing it down and rebuilding it with more
interesting bricks and better masonry technique. Or I supposed I could
have faced it with decorative tile. But there were more important
places for my money in those days, so I painted it.

Amazingly, it turned out great. Looked 100% better, a huge
improvement. I just primed it and painted it with Murello flat latex
the same color as the wall. And it sort of disappeared.