Surfwospam

Default 2-prong outlet, 3-prong power strip

I'm trying to help a neighbor set up a computer and printer that her
out-of-state son shipped to her.

My neighbor's house was build in the 1960s and only has two-prong outlets. In
the past, whenever she wanted to use a 3-prong plug device, she just used an
adapter.

I'm wondering if it would be okay to plug in the surge protector/power strip
her son sent into a 3-prong adapter and then plug that into the 2-prong wall
outlet. There would be three devices plugged into the power strip/surge
protector: a CPU, monitor, and printer.

Specifically, I want to make sure we're not risking starting an electrical fire
(or some other calamity).

If she does need to get an outlet turned into a 3-prong outlet, what elements
would the electrician take into account in his price (e.g., distance from
switch box) and what's your best guess on what that might cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Surf