Philip Lewis

Grandpa Koca writes:
painted is ALWAYS painted thereafter. Just something to keep in mind.

Personally, i see painted brick and want to scream at the person
responsible... but it's the OP's house...
I wonder if several coats of shellac before the paint would allow for
a reversible paint job. The shellac should fill the pores and prevent
the pain from seeping in.

I have a green/brown craftsman style tile fireplace. We don't like the
look of it at all and it doesn't match the other three marble
fireplaces in the victorian era home. I think if i were to do
anything, i'd use cement board (whatever is appropriate for the high
heat), then faux paint it to look like the other marble fireplaces.

Perhaps the OP could consider a similar scheme.

--
be safe.
flip