Chet Hayes

"BobAtVandy" wrote in message ...
I know I'll need to get permits, etc., of course. And I may use some subs.
But I may well do some or much of the work myself, which is why I asked the
question. I'm not getting the cart before the horse; I want to be sure I
understand the entire job before I embark.

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
You may need to get your horse out in front of the cart on this project.
Before starting work you need a building permit, and to get that you
likely
will be required to submit plans and specifications. And to get those you
will
need an architect or structural engineer. Having permits and plans you can
get
bids. Then review the proposals, do the usual research on the competency
and
quality of the bidders and select your contractor.
Visit some construction sites, spend time in your local library, collect
as
much info as you can. Then ask the people involved in your project to
answer
your questions. HTH

Joe

I think his main point, which I agree with, is in most areas you will
need plans from a licensed architect to get the permits. The plans
will show how the foundations and structures are connected.