willshak

JOHN D wrote:

What are the rules for a door swinging into a stairwell?
It's a inclosed stair down to a finished basement..The present door swings
out and due to bad design is in the way when open. It swings into the front
other stairs going up so I can't just leave it open. It can't swing out the
other way cus that blocks a frequently used closet. I'm up & down both
stairs constantly and have removed the door just to get it out of the way.
If I turn the door frame around so it swings into the stairwell it would
swing to the same side as the banaster. It will miss the end of the banaster
by about 1". The stairwell is 36" wide. The door is 30" wide and the landing
is 30" deep so the door might extend over the edge of a landing about 1/4
inch when fully open. The landing is level with floor. I think a door is not
supposed to swing over the steps, but it's just 1/4 inch. You would have so
stand on the steps while opening the door. It looks to me like it can work.
What do you think.

My basement door swings into the stairwell. My stairs go down to the
right against the wall. The door swings in to the left, so when open, it
is against the back wall of the landing opposite the stairs. When open,
the door doesn't have to be touched when going up and down the stairs.
And yes, I do have to stand on the top couple of stairs to open it from
the basement side ( I smoke a pipe and my wife doesn't like the smell,
so I keep the door closed when in the basement). It's been that way for
20 years, and since my computer is in the basement, I go up and down the
stairs numerous times during the day. I don't even think about it anymore.
Unless there is some other problem that you haven't mentioned, perhaps
you can reconfigure the door so it swings in, in the opposite direction
of the stairs.