~^Johnny^~

(read from news:sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
- note header trimming and followups-to)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:16:27 -0600, L. Maurer
wrote:

On 16 Nov 2004 12:35:32 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

We live in a rented townhouse. During the winter when the heat is
used, the place really gets dry. So much so that it dries out the
sinus and causes discomfort. Is there any easy practical way to
humidify this place?

Sure. Caulk it.

They asked for "easy" and they don't own the place. The "easy" way is
to just sit a pot of water on the stove, simmer it, and let it steam.
You can add spices to create a nice fresh scent while you're
humidifying. Try slicing half an apple in the water, they're a frugal
buy this time of year and a refreshing scent.

mama

And then they would be harboring mold and condensation, no?

Rather than artificially adding humidity, why not get a good balance?

Of course, if you've got those goddamn casement windows in your place, like
I do, then I inderstand. Especially if it's a rental. Caulking and
weatherstripping is futile in these rat traps. In this case, just keep
treating the carpet with cupric sulfate, the baseboards with captan, and the
windows with malathion. Use chlorine products sparingly, where needed, to
immediately kill and bleach the most aggressive mold.

I live in one of those cheap rentals, and it is terrible.

The best solution is to move out, but real estate being the way it is, and
such... I wish I had better credit!

IHTH, mama.

--
-john