Art

This is not a trivial or cheap job. You would be better off spending more
money and finding a unit that fits the current fireplace.

"Martik" wrote in message
I need more height to install a gas f/p so I was thinking of removing the
top 2 rows of bricks where they jut out in the center. The current height
is 20" but I need about 24" for the vent pipe to connect inside the
chimney. Other possibilities include drilling a hole thru the f/p but this
would not look good if the gas f/p was ever removed.

My question is: How can I remove the 2 rows safely? The iron bar would
have to come out which could cause the bricks to collapse. Will there be
similar bricks behind the ones I remove?

Thanks

http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace1.jpg angle showing jut out

http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace2.jpg iron bar under the bricks