Childfree Scott

Hope you used pressure treated this time!

Actually I didn't because the pressure treated stuff is ugly. I used
regular hardwood (fir, I think) and stained it and will put 3 coats of
polyeurethane on it. It's not like that area is still getting wet
because I fixed the drainage problem and it's under an awning. I
suppose I could have used pressure treated wood and painted it, but
from what I can tell the paint doesn't hold up nearly as well as oil
based polyeurethane. That and the pressure treated wood is not
exactly "appeareance grade" like the stuff I bought is. Plus I wasn't
sure what color to paint it (Match the wall? Match the gloss white
door frame?, so staining solved that problem). The old one was 54
years old, and red oak and not pressure treated or anything and I
expect the new one to last much longer than I am going to live in the
house.