Nick Brooks

Default Building regs: 30 mins fire resistance

Peter Parry wrote:
On 12 Feb 2004 14:38:38 -0800, (Ben
Schofield) wrote:

The space has a suspended ceiling (belonging to the flat below) about
1m underneath it.

So, my question is: will 9.5mm of plasterboard and 18mm of chipboard,
plus the suspended ceiling below, give me the 30 mins fire resistance
I require?

If you are going over someone elses property then no matter what the
BR say think of your own security. Make sure the compartment is
smoke proof for a start - fires rarely kill - their combustion
product beat them to it. It used to be that a double layer of
plasterboard was adequate to give 30 min resistance - I'm not sure if
this is still so but it isn't far out.

The suspended ceiling should be ignored in any fire resistance
estimations.

What about 18mm of chipboard alone?

No.

Double layer of 12.5mm plaster board does meet 30 min requirement. So
does single layer of 12.5mm firecheck plasterboard which is slightly
pink in colour, but it's very heavy especially in 8x4 sheets.

Nick