Brian

It is likely bet to check with your phone company first. However I
suggest rather just moving it all in side, that it would be better to

leave
it all there. Bring the hot line inside as you suggest to a new box and

run
a new wire underground to nowhere. That way someone would think they have
it and stop looking when in reality they just killed a dead line.

I'm dealing with the same issues right now, and am still having trouble with
"hardened" or secure phone lines. There will be a weakness somewhere,
whether it is at the entry point to your house or somewhere else between
your house and the phone company. If you're a thorough theif, I assume
you'd find and get into the green access box for the area and kill the line
there. That way, you don't even have to worry about what you encounter at
the premise itself.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Brian.