Roy Mottola

at the existing light you had one black wire and one white wire attached to
the fixture. First , leave the white wire on the fixture. Second, splice the
black wire formerly on the fixture to the white wire going to the switch.
Third, attach the black wire coming back from the switch to the fixture.
Last, connect both wires to switch terminals , doesn't matter which way
"Cabrzama" wrote in message
om...
I think a made a big goof!

I was trying to wire a light switch to an existing ceiling light
fixture (pull string) in an unfinished room. All I did was run the
standard 12-2 wiring from the new switch box up to the existing
fixture. Then I drywalled everything up. I went to wire the switch box
line up with the existing wiring that leads to the fixture. When I
turned things on it tripped and won't properly work from the switch.
The pull string works fine (off and on), but when I try using the
switch it trips that circuit.

WHERE I THINK I WENT WRONG:
I now think that I was supposed re-direct the existing power that ran
to the existing fixture in the ceiling down to the new switch
location. Then run a separate line of 12-2 from the new switch
location up to the light existing light fixture. Am I right? If so, is
there a way to rectify this without ripping out the drywall to have
the switch and fixture work properly?