willshak

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article , TURTLE wrote:

This is Turtle.

Well get you some no heat Lite Bulbs by G/E that look like a coil neon lite
which burn 1/2 the electricity and give off very little heat at all. You
can get them at Sam's Wholesale place and come 5 in a pack. This way you
find out if heat is doing it.

TURTLE

Compact fluorescents actually make a majority as much convected heat as
incandescents of the same light output do. What compact fluorescents
produce much less of is infrared. You get a lot less heat in the room,
although the air above the bulb will be only a little cooler.

- Don Klipstein )

I don't find that to be true, in my case anyway. I don't have any
technical information or measuring devices to accurately measure the
heat output, but just used my touch sensory organ.
I have a desk lamp sitting right next to me that has a stainless steel
lamp cover over the bulb (looks kinda like a small inverted SS mixing
bowl). I had been using 60 watt incandescent bulbs in it up to a week
ago. If I placed my hand on the top of the SS cover, I could not hold it
there for more than a few seconds because it was so hot.
Last week, I put in a "GE softwhite 60" spiral compact flourescent bulb
rated at 13 W, which they claim has the light output of an incandescent
60 W bulb. I can put my hand on the cover and hold it there for as long
as I want because it is not hot, but merely warm. And not all that warm
either. When my coffee is that temperature, I usually go heat it up in
the MW.