JD

We adopted a resccue dog that was kept outside and developed a barking
problem before we got him. We took him to obedience school and learned how
to control his barking. There is a spray that you can buy in pet stores
called Bitter Apple. The technique we used was say "no bark". We said it
quietly and without yelling as dogs hearing is 30 times better than humans.
If he barked again we opened his mouth and put one spray of Bitter Apple in
his mouth and said "no bark". After two or three times of doing that he got
the message. Now all we say is "no bark" and he becomes quiet immediately.
I think the owl is a helper in keeping rodents out of your house so I would
try and train the dog to stay inside and not bark. We don't correct the dog
when people come up the driveway because we want them to learn to give an
"alarm bark" but when we say good boy, no bark. they stop.
This is an idea that won't annoy your neighbors, you will have a better
behaved dog and less rodents.
Good Luck.
JD
"B" wrote in message
m...
If I leave my dog outside at night, she'll bark and wake up the
neighborhood, but the owl stays away, too.
If I leave my dog inside at night, the owl hoots and the dog barks and
wakes
up the family.
We need sleep.
Is there a way to keep the owl away from my yard?
The owl has been around for only a week ... will it move away pretty soon?
am in Raleigh, NC.
Other advice?