Pop

I don't think it's increased heat from the bulbs or anything.
IMO, it's more likely the "chimney" effect of the warmer bulbs
floating dust (smoke, cooking, street, etc.) up to the ceiling
where it may or may not stick, depending on the material in the
"dust", humidity and probably other things.
Reason I say this is I've noticed it too, especially over the
lamp near my chair when I used to smoke; it was directly above
the lamp, not the chair, and the lamp was about 4 feet from the
ceiling with a conical shade.
I also notice that in my shop it collects the same way. I
used white maritile to get a bright reflective ceiling and the
circles are about a foot and a half radius some places, and the 8
ft, flourescents even have a ridge along them, ballooned near
each end, sort of like a magnetic field. I suppose that might
have somethnig to do with the high voltage at the ends, but it's
the same effect.
When I heat with my Reddy kero heater it's more likely to
build up than with it off.
Usually 409 does a good job of removing it, long's you don't
mind clean spots g.

Pop

"Wade" wrote in message
link.net...
|I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black
spots above
| the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in
the bathroom to
| 1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I
reduced the
| bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on
the ones
| which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This
hasn't helped.
| The house and light holders are original, about 20 years old
and the spots
| were not there when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to
the degree they
| are now. Have the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just
buying low
| quality bulbs? I can wash the ceiling and block it out &
repaint, but I