Wade

Default Light Bulbs leaving black marks on ceiling

I have several lights throughout my house which have burn/black spots above
the bulbs on the ceiling. The bulbs range from 6 inches in the bathroom to
1 foot in the hallways from the ceiling in each candlebra. I reduced the
bulbs from 60 watts to 40 and in some cases down to 25 watts on the ones
which are 6 inches from the ceiling (in the bathroom). This hasn't helped.
The house and light holders are original, about 20 years old and the spots
were not there when I moved in 5 years ago...at least not to the degree they
are now. Have the bulbs changed to burn more hot or am I just buying low
quality bulbs? I can wash the ceiling and block it out & repaint, but I
don't want to do this if is going to happen again. I really don't want to
change the style of lighting at this time. Any thoughts/ideas would be
appreciated.

Wade