Albert

OK, thanks.

The environmental effects, I've already researched. Both components of
the foam are non-toxic before they are combined. If combined in the
proper proportions, they give off heat, CO2 and the propellant gas.
After curing, the foam is very inert with only trace outgassing due to
temperature changes. After the initial cure, it's pretty safe, and can
even be installed indoors without ventilation. The MSDS sheets are
online for those who want to check themselves.

I hadn't thought of the wood issue! Yes, some wood is downright moist.
We get alot of lumber from saw mills around here and they do not have
kilns. The moisture content of the lumber can vary alot. I'll keep
this in mind before sealing up the structure. If we do construction in
the spring or summer, we can cover it from the outside to make house
weather tight and then apply the foam in the early fall after the
lumber has had a chance to dry out.

Thanks for pointing out the possible problem with moisture content of
the lumber.

Art

Sprayed foam. Two caveats.

1. Since it is a chemical formulation it may outgas and cause
respiratory problems. The chemicals may also affect your health if
you have chemical sensitivities.

2. Foam effectively seals the structure it covers. Your studs, wood
sheathing, etc. cannot breath and therefore cannot stabilize its
moisture content with the ambient atmospheric conditions. New
lumberyard wood retains some dampness. If that moisture cannot be
vented because the sprayed foam seals it then wood rot occurs.