Albert

I think you're talking about the crawl space, but am not positive.

Please understand, the ceiling in the front of the house (East side)
is 5 feet high, the ceiling in the backside is just over 7 feet high.

The rafters are laid from the front wall to the center load bearing
wall, then another set is laid from there to the backside of the
house.

The ceilings (inside) are not flat, there is no crawl space as you
would have with a peaked roof or with a trussed roof. The ceilings
(inside) follow the same slope as the roof does on the outside.

The 'roof deck' is above the second floor living space, we have our
bedrooms on the second floor which is how we can tolerate the low
ceiling height.

So, the only place to insulate is between the roof rafters and there
is no ventilation above the roof surface because there isn't anything
to ventilate::. There is no attic, there is no corner vent or vent at
the peak of the roof.

We cannot evaluate whether condensation has compromised the roof
rafters, but it is possible. Before we putt he metal roof on, the roof
used to leak. So, some of those cavities have been moist in the past.
Some of the ceiling was damaged, but it was patched, some drywall tape
changed and repainted.

We also think that interior grade particle board was used as the
covering for the roof rafters (instead of plywood or OSB). This is sub
standard and doesn't add structural strength to the house as plywood
would.

Perhaps the undersized roof rafters, the potential for moisture damage
and the particle board covering tip the scale in favor of a complete
replacement of the roof instead of trying to save or upgrade the
existing sub standard roof rafters?

Art
Art

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:35:48 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

You want to spray the roof deck ? Normaly attics are vented to
outside temps to stop condensation. the attic floor is insulated. When
your roof leaks you will not know where it is and will rot. Insulate
the floor. If you are worried about supports just put more in screwing
to the original. Only insulate the roof deck if you will use it as a
heated living space.