HA HA Budys Here

(Michael Moroney)

writes:

In misc.industry.utilities.electric Michael Moroney

wrote:

writes:

|There used to be 3-way Despard switches, but I never saw a 4-way one.
|Those are hard to find now days. Even the duplex switches that fit in
|a receptacle plate are hard to find in 3-way.
|
| The duplex 3 way switches aren't hard to find. I just bought two of 'em
| at Home Depot about 3 weeks ago. (they are both one ordinary, one 3 way
| switch, but they also sell duplex 3 way switches)

But are they of a major name brand?

Leviton, if I remember correctly.

| What's a Despard switch?

There is a strap with up to 3 rectangular holes and a couple tabs. This
becomes the yoke for a device assembly by inserting small separate devices
into each. They look like the duplex receptacle, except 3 holes instead
of 2, and smaller. Sides were rounded and the top and bottom were straight.

OK, I think I've seen these before, in an old house in Buffalo I lived
in.

I just had a need for 3 switches in a device, to switch the 3 components
of a bathroom light/fan/heater. I put in a Decora switch despite that
I dislike them. (what faceplate does a triple Despard switch take?)

A triple despard switchplate. Until Decora came out with a triple rocker switch
which fit into a single faceplate, a triple despard switch and faceplace.
factory labeled Heat / Vent / Light was included with every new HVL sold.

Speaking of multiple things in a device, I vaguely remember a kitchen
outlet in a summer cottage our family had. There were 5 outlets in the
single box device. (obviously no ground prong)
--
-Mike