Set Square

Default Patio Door - option?

John john.plant90@NO-SPAMntlworldDOTcom wrote:

My house is all double glazed except a pair of french doors which have
toughened glass. The doors are wooden and I have just found some rot.
All the doors and window frames in the house are dark stained wood.

I need to think about replacing the french doors but the opening is
only 50 inches wide so the normal sliding doors are not an option. As
the opening is fairly narrow I also want to maximise the daylight so
I want fairly slender frames.

Any ideas anyone?

Go for aluminium frames - you'll get a lot more glass than if you go for
uPVC.

Go for the powder coated thermal break variety. They look very smart, and
have a thermal efficiency approaching that of uPVC - especially if you use
K-glass.

Does it *all* need to open? If not, you could have a fixed pane and a normal
width hinged door - which would give more light than two narrower doors.

I have two similar openings. One is 53" wide and has a single wide door and
non-opening side panel. The other is 50" wide and has a pair of narrower
doors - all in thermal break aluminium. If you're interested, I could email
you a picture of either or both tomorrow (it's getting a bit dark to do it
today!).
--
Cheers,
Set Square