Casey

Hi,
It's called box construction; it was practised from the 1880's onward.
Usually an effort to speed construction and save $$ on all those pesky
studs, plaster, etc.
1x12's were nailed directly to the rim joist and to a top plate. All the
structural integrity relies on the shear strength of the nails. In box
houses I've examined, the clapboards are nailed directly to the sheathing,
and the inteior was hung with muslin and then wallpapered (repeatedly).
These houses were problematic to wire (think wiremold) and of course were
only suited to warm climates beacuse there was no place for insulation.
They could be built in any single-story floorplan, with rather complex
rooflines.
They can be retrofitted with studs if the structure is not too far gone. The
typical example will be 100 yrs old by now...
Casey

"Conase" wrote in message
I was watching House Detective on my local HGTV channel.

They inspected a house in New Orleans called a SHOTGUN HOUSE.
No problem since I am from Louisiana and know about them.

However the inspector said, " When you see the window and door frames
sticking
3 inches INTO the room, it is an example of __________ construction. There
are
NO 2 X 4s in the walls, etc."

I was unable to catch the NAME of this type of construction.
I had never heard of it before.
I Googled "shotgun house" and got no info.

Anyone know what TYPE of construction this is ??
Just like we say STICK framing or BALOON framing, what type is this ???

TIA