nightjar

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
m...
I was watching 'Working Lunch' where it featured a guy turning his
modelling hobby into a business. The business was based in his attic
which was accessed solely by a pull-down ladder.
How illegal is this?

Can you have degrees of illegality? It is almost certainly a breach of the
planning regulations, but IME it is certainly not an uncommon practice. I
used to have quite a large customer who ran his business from his attic and
who had employees working there.

How much use can you put an attic to that only has a pull-down ladder
as access?

He will probably get around to fitting permanent stairs, when he gets fed up
with the ladder. However, I have a couple of storage areas accessed by loft
ladders in my factories. the only things the Factory Inspectors were
concerned about was that they were firmly fixed and that there were adequate
guard rails, with toe boards, where there was a fall hazard.

Colin Bignell