Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

People in this situation will normally have File & Printer Sharing
enabled -
to enable the PCs on their LAN to talk to each other

But the system in question has only one computer. If it has a modern
operating system, like XP SP2, then network shares will have required
several warning messages to be ignored to have disabled the firewall.

Christian.

In our discussion, we've rather wandered away from the OP's question!

I said a wireless solution wasn't a good idea in this case because wireless
connections are more temperamental than wired and because you needed a wired
a connection to configure the router. I also mentioned security issues in
passing.

Between us, we have broadened this to a discussion on multi PC LANs, rather
than just the OP's single computer.

My previous reply was addressing your assertion that a software firewall on
each PC (in a multi-PC setup) would stop a wireless hacker from doing
anything other than getting a free internet connection. I admit that by this
time I had lost sight of the OP's question, and was talking in more general
terms.

Do you understand what I'm getting at, in the general sense?
--
Cheers,
Set Square