Holly

Grunff wrote in message
Holly wrote:

Hi all,
We have recently made an oak staircase, which was glued together at
the joints. Excess glue was wiped off with a damp cloth at the time,
and bits which escaped this were scraped off with a chisel when dry.
I am currently staining and varnishing and the stain doesn't take

where
the glue was wiped. I could sand this off but there is alot of it,
mostly in awkward corners and having just sanded, vacuumed and
wiped the whole thing I have no desire to start sanding again! Does
anyone know of a product which would remove the glue remains?

I doubt there will be a solvent which can dissolve set PVA without
adversely affecting the wood surface. Trichloroethane certainly
dissolves polymerised PVA, but don't rtry that on the wood!

I think that sanding is really going to be the only solution.

It seems you are right.

If you have lots to do, it's probably a good idea to fing a suitable
powered sander. A small reciprocating sander might be good,
to get in all the tight spaces.

Well, after trying all the scraping methods and finding them too
difficult, I have resurrected my old B&D multi-sander. I have even fixed
the problem of the little diamond shaped tip flying off every five
minutes by drilling out the hole and using a small nut and bolt! It does
seem to be working, it just means all the vaccuming and wiping all over
again....

Holly