On 17 Nov 2004 00:10:26 -0800, (Paul) wrote:

Hello,

Fired up the solid fuel Rayburn yesterday, only to find it's raining
inside it :-(((.

I've been quoted some horrendous prices to change the boiler (and
finding someone local to do it hasn't been easy!), varying from £1000
to £1500. Considering a new Heatranger is £3100, unless I diy I wonder
about the economics of it. I think the boiler itself will cost me
about £600.

Is it *that* hard to change the boiler in one of these, does anyone
know, please? I don't know how old the Rayburn is, I would guess 20+,
but it's in reasonable condition otherwise. Probably a Roayale or
Nouvelle model.

Thanks for your time.

Paul.

If you've got enough clearance at the side it's fairly easy. I've
recently changed the boiler on my Royal. On these the boiler is
removeable from the side. Disconnect the pipes, remove the cover plate
and the old boiler should come out with a bit of manipulation.
Unfortunately mine didn't have enough side clearance to get the boiler
out, so I had to move the entire unit!

Aga/Rayburn will sell you a new cast iron boiler for about £300, I
bought a stainless steel replacement from a company in Wales for about
£150. Sorry, can't remember the name, but I found them with google.

Bill